Friday, December 30, 2011

Silencing your DIY noise

I'm the kind of person when I'm ready to do something, I do it. Without haste.

I'm not a procrastinator, I'm also not someone who does great with a looming deadline.

But sometimes when I decide to do something, it really has to be like...right...this...very...minute.

I'm in the process of working on our master bedroom.


I picked out about a million paint samples.


I even decided on one, went to the store and bought all the supplies. Like last Sunday.

But this week I've been quieting my DIY voice in my head.

As I cleaned the house, and took care of my daughter, sent out the Christmas cards, and cooked, and wrapped the last presents, and shopped, and did errands, I quieted that little voice.

The voice that says now. now. not later, but now.

Do you have this voice too?

I could paint in a month, but that voice makes it seem like there is no other time that will do, but now.

So I've reasoned with my DIY voice all week. Not now, not before Christmas, there's so much to do, and we should be resting and relaxing, not painting and sweating.

I asked my husband if I could have some time on Monday to paint, he would take care of our daughter, I would paint like a madwoman and we could take advantage of this holiday weekend. He agreed.

However when Monday came he had a sore throat and he begged that we just relaxed and enjoyed the holiday weekend, as a family. He also agreed that if I waited until next weekend, he would even help me with the painting, and many hands make light work.

So in a move that's very NOT me...I said "OK. Ok I'll wait another week. Whats another week?"

I'm realizing that projects will get done, but finding the balance among the beauty is really what I'm looking for.

Have you found a little more balance in your life recently? What did you do to get it?



5 comments:

  1. I agree, sometimes you just have to quiet the voices and 'live' a little bit more. Even if living just means enjoying quiet time with your family. I tend to start a lot of projects but I'm slower on finishing.
    Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment, too. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog....I am one of your new followers. Feel free to visit my blog and become a follower if you wish!

    I love your bedding, where did you purchase it?

    Can't wait to see your finished room.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the same way! Once I get "the itch", I can't drop it til it's done...whatever the 'it' may be. I love your master as is...can't wait to see how the paint transforms it! And happ new year to you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am TOTALLY like you. It's so hard not to do all the projects I have lined up in my head, but reality hits and it's just not possible sometimes. Glad you found the balance last weekend... can't wait to see it once you do paint!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support, I always comment back or send follow up emails. Don't forget to become a follower if you havent already.